Private health insurance to become resident in Spain

European or World Wide Expats in Spain that intend to stay in Spain for over 3 months of the year must apply for residence in Spain. They call this “residencia”. You will be given an NIE number which translates to “national identification number for expats”.

This NIE number will allow you to have non-resident status or resident status.
The NIE number never changes and once you have this number you will be given either a card or a green certificate with the number and your personal details stated.

Why do you need private health insurance in order to get a NIE number?
The reason you need private health insurance to become a resident is because the Spanish government wants proof that you can support yourself.
If you start working in Spain you will become part of the social security system. Once you are paying into the system you will have access to the National Health Service.

We would recommend continuing with the private health insurance even with the national cover. However, at that point the choice will be yours.

Please feel free to contact us for a free no obligation quote for your Private health insurance

• Please note in most cases to become resident you will be required to have a health insurance with no excess (no co-payments). In Spanish this is known as “sin copago”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To discuss your health insurance
needs with one of the team

Bsure Health Insurance